National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : March 08, 2018 Application deadline : March 17, 2018
Research Investigator with Universal Health Coverage under the Health System and Population Studies Division (Internal#70/2018)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Research Investigator with Universal Health Coverage under the Health System and Population Studies Division. The appointment will be made on a Contractual Service Agreement (CSA) basis for 6 months, which may be extended for further period depending on availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Duty station - Dhaka
No. of vacancy - 1 post
Salary - 91,188/ -(consolidated) per month inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances. No other benefit is admissible.
Conduct qualitative research with the objective of enabling smooth functioning of Gender, Health, Human Rights and violence against Women research group within the strategy of organizational values and guidelines.
- Research Proposal Development: Brainstorm new research ideas with scientists; Work with supervisor in proposal development through literature search, reviewing the relevant documents under Gender, Health, Human Rights and violence against Women Studies; Identify new research ideas and develop concept notes; Review concept notes for peers and provide comments in order to conduct research in new areas.
- Research Protocol Development: Create detailed research design and methodology to achieve the study objectives; Estimate requirements for financial and non-financial resources based on research methodology; Identify research leaders (PIs, Co-PIs etc.) and collaborators (external partner organizations etc.) for research projects; Circulate new protocol drafts internally and externally, seek feedback and modify accordingly; Seek approval from Finance, RRC, ERC etc. on protocol; Coordinate with Research Administration (RA) for approvals for research-related activities; Contribute to other colleagues' research protocols in order to develop effective protocols that meet the new research objectives.
- Project Management: Train qualitative team members on data collection, coding and analysis of data; Work wih supervisor in developing data collection tools; Assign work to team and initiate activities as per project plan; Supervise data collection; Prepare periodic reports from the involved studies; Travel field to check the study activities; Coach staff on how to address issues faced during field-work; Monitor quality of data collected and response rates against timelines and research criteria; Track consumption of financial & non-financial resources; Take corrective actions to comply with donor mandates and research protocols in order to obtain study objectives with adherence to quality standards and project timelines.
- Scientific Analysis, Knowledge Creation and Translation: Critically asses data quality; Under the guidance of PI apply rigorous scientific analysis to derive meaningful inferences from data; Work with PI to analyze data and draw appropriate scientific inferences; Present findings to other scientists and seek inputs; Discuss preliminary findings with team members key stakeholders; Deliberate on those inputs and develop a draft report; Work jointly with PI and other team members to develop articles for peer-reviewed journals; Conduct peer reviews of manuscripts of other researchers in order to support scientific manuscript creation while developing one's own scientific writing abilities.
- Scientific Capacity Building: Involve junior scientists in discussions, manuscript writing etc.; Recommend staff for internal and external training programs; Conduct workshops and training sessions to share knowledge and experiential learning in order to develop sound science within the centre.
- People Management: Promote a spirit of collegiality and gender diversity amongst team members and in the organization; Encourage team members to collaborate across areas; Address and resolve any diversity related issues; Set goals and conduct appraisals for the team; Set high standards and confront poor performance where needed; Mentor young professionals and prepare them for higher responsibilities; Take appropriate actions to manage poor performance (such as creating Performance Improvement Plans, coaching, job rotations, planning separations from icddr,b) in order to build and develop an engaged and high performing team.
Education and relevant experience:
- Masters in Anthropology
- 5 years of relevant experience in qualitative research including academic research with recognized research institutions or researchers or with recognized research output in the area of gender.
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Developing research tool
- Coding and analysis qualitative data
- Scientific Writing and Publication
- Qualitative Data Collection Methods involving some sensitive topics
- Computer operations (MS Office, Statistical)
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by March 17, 2018. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application.
icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin or disability status. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.