National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : March 12, 2018 Application deadline : March 18, 2018
Research Investigator with HIV under the Infectious Diseases Division (Re-adv#75/2018)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Research Investigator with HIV & AIDS Programme under the Infectious Diseases Division. The appointment will be made on a Contractual Service Agreement (CSA) basis for 10 months, which may be extended for further period depending on availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Duty station - CHIV Field-Site
No. of vacancy - 2 posts
Salary - 91,188/ -(consolidated) per month inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances. No other benefit is admissible.
The Research Investigator is responsible for conducting research on understanding the culture of injecting drug use and analyzing harm reduction intervention operating for People who Inject Drugs (PWID) in Dhaka city with the objective of understanding the strategies, scopes and challenges of the harm reduction interventions operating with PWID in order to get a comprehensive and contextual scenario within the guidelines of the GFATM project and organisational values and guidelines;
- Research Proposal and Protocol Development: Brainstorm research ideas with scientists; Create detailed research design and methodology to acheive the study objectives; Draft proposals for study questions articluated by the team; Review concept notes for Programme Head and PI; and provide comments; Contribute to other colleagues' research protocols in order to conduct research and develop effective protocols that meet the research objectives.
- Project Management: Create detailed project plan covering milestones, deliverables etc.; Support PI and work with field coordinator to process salaries, update budgets, arrange transport and other logistics etc; Train staff on ethnographic data collection procedures; Field-test and finalise data collection tools; Assign work to team and initiate activities as per project plan; Supervise data collection; Collect ethnographic data for the protocol; Coach staff on how to address issues faced during field-work; Monitor quality of data collected, and response rates against timelines and research criteria; Take corrective actions to comply with donor mandates and research protocols in order to complete the research, with adherence to quality standards and project timelines.
- Scientific Analysis, Knowledge Creation and Translation: Critically asses data quality; Apply rigorous scientific analysis to derive meaningful inferences from data; Guide team to analyse data and draw appropriate scientific inferences; Present findings to PI and Co-PIs and seek inputs; Derive implications for PWID at risk of acruiring HIV; Discuss preliminary findings with PI; Deliberate on those inputs and develop sound scientific manuscripts; Actively work with PI to disseminate the knowledge at conferences and seminars; Develop draft final report with the team and share it with PI in order to generate new knowledge based on research evidence.
- Scientific Capacity Building: Partner with junior scientists / interns / research fellows on data collection methods; Involve junior scientists in discussions, manuscript writing etc.; Recommend staff for internal and external training programs; Conduct workshops and training sessions to share knowledge and experiential learning; Participate in lectures and training programs in academic institutions in order to develop sound science within the centre.
- People Management: Promote a spirit of collegiality and gender diversity amongst team members and in the organisation; Encourage team members to collaborate across areas; Address and resolve any diversity related issues; Set goals and conduct appraisals for the team; Set high standards and confront poor performance where needed; Mentor young professionals and prepare them for higher responsibilities; Identify and reward high performers; Recommend promotions; Take appropriate actions to manage poor performance (such as creating Performance Improvement Plans, coaching, job rotations, planning separations from icddr,b) in order to build and develop an engaged and high performing team.
Education and relevant experience:
- Master’s Degree in Social Science/Public Health;
- At least 5 years experience in research projects. Preference will be given to those who have experience in qualitative work in the field of HIV and AIDS; especially with PWID. Fluency in English will be an added advantage.
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Research domain
- Research design
- Research analysis
- Scientific writing and publications
- Data collection and management
- Regulatory requirements and compliance
- Project management
- IT systems and standard applications
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by March 18, 2018. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application. Candidates who applied before need not to apply again.
icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin or disability status. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.