National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : 13 Sep 2017 Application deadline : 18 Sep 2017
Research Fellow with Research under the Laboratory Sciences and Services Division (Adv#269/2017)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Research Fellow with Research under the Laboratory Sciences and Services Division. The appointment will be made on Local Fellow basis for 01 year which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
Objective: This Research Fellow position will provide an opportunity for aspiring researchers to get to work in the research based environment at icddr,b. The fellowship is aimed at capable individuals who have recently completed their Masters or primary professional education, are in the career formative stage, and are interested to make a career in research. The fellow will be required to perform duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Particulars of the fellowship are as follows:
Duty station - Dhaka
No. of vacancy - 1 post
The specific areas of responsibilities are detailed below:
- Project Implementation: Create detailed project plan covering milestones, deliverables etc.; Sub-contract research activities to local / smaller NGOs, where required; Coordinate with internal teams to get resources for execution of project (IT software, hardware, travel, logistics etc.); Assign responsibilities to team and initiate activities as per project plan; Deploy data collection method (e.g. identify target group, gain consensus, administer survey, test vaccines, collect samples); Conduct monthly visits to track progress of research; Solve queries as raised by Field Research Officers; Refine research methodology / design in light of preliminary analysis and seek approval from RRC and ERC heads; Monitor deliverables against timelines and research criteria; Track consumption of financial & non-financial resources; Escalate issues to Centre Director in order to efficiently and effectively execute the research according to protocol.
- Research Concept Development: Review scientific articles and explore different research ideas; Finalize a research idea in consultation with the Centre Director; Prepare research questions and concept note for the idea; Share output with Centre Director and other researchers for inputs; Make necessary changes and finalize the concept note in order to develop a research concept in alignment with centre objectives.
- Literature Review: " Review literature and research proposal writing
- Scientific Analysis and Knowledge Creation: Conduct detailed data analysis; Apply scientific analysis to research findings and derive implications for public health; Share initial findings with supervisor and seek inputs; Prepare manuscript / research report with support from Scientific Writing Unit based on research study for publication in international peer journals in order to create high quality manuscripts and propagate research findings internally in icddr,b.
Education and relevant experience:
- Masters in Public Health with MBBS;
- 01 year of experience in conducting research activities in any international organization will be preferred.
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Knowledge of Research Domain
- Knowledge of Research Publications
- Knowledge of Regulatory Compliances
- Knowledge of Scientific writing
- Knowledge of Resource Management
- Knowledge of Budgeting and Expenditure Monitoring
- Knowledge of Research Design
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Duration: Duration of fellowship is for the period of 01 year. However, it may be extended for further period depending on satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
Stipend: Monthly stipend amounting to Tk. 38,320/- and free transportation to and from the duty stations, subject to Centre’s rules and availability of transports.
Evaluation & Certification: The progress of the Fellows will be monitored and evaluated. On successful completion of training and final evaluation, the Research Fellow will be awarded certificates.
Prospects: After completion of the program, the Fellows may apply against any other suitable positions at the Centre. However, such employment is not guaranteed. The selected Fellows will not be eligible for any other fellowship program at the Centre.
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by 18 September 2017. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application.
icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin or disability status. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.