National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : March 11, 2018 Application deadline : March 17, 2018
Medical Officer with Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division (Internal#71/2018)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Medical Officer with Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division. The appointment will be made on Fixed Term basis for 1 year which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
Duty station - Dhaka
No. of vacancy - 1 post
Salary - Annual Tk. 1,094,260/ -inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances and other admissible benefits.
Benefits/facilities - 14.8% provident fund contribution, income tax paid by icddr,b, children allowance @Tk.1,420/- per child per month, festival bonus, contributory healthcare support including dependent spouse and children, group life insurance and subsidized canteen. Transport and daycare facilities are subject to space availability.
This position is responsible to plan, direct and conduct implementation of research activities with the objective of collecting relevant research data for creating knowledge within the guidelines of the research protocol and organisational values and guidelines (such as Institutional Governance Framework - IGF and Gender Diversity Guidelines).
- People Management: Promote a spirit of collegiality and gender diversity among team members and in the organisation, encourage team members to collaborate across areas, address and resolve any diversity related issues, set goals and conduct appraisals for the team, set high standards and confront poor performance where needed, guide and prepare them for higher responsibilities, appropriate actions to manage poor performance (such as creating Performance Improvement Plans, coaching, job rotations, planning separations from icddr,b) in order to build and develop an engaged and high performing team;
- Project Implementation: Interact with mobile phone based call-in centre to function 24/7 operated by group of physicians, facilitate assembling data to generate case packets to review by the expert panel to determine the cause of death of under 5 years children in a defined population, develop and adopt tools for verbal autopsy in ODK version and generate summary narratives of death events to review by the DeCoDe panel, ensure quality by regular meeting with call-in centre persons, prepare report and share findings with the supervisor in order to execute activities in accordance with research protocol, development of study tool and conduct the protocol training for research staff as per good clinical practices guideline in order to implement the project on time;
- Project Planning and Review: Understand research protocol and plan for its implementation (milestones, deliverable etc.), align implementation plans across partners (internal and external), assign work to team and initiate activities as per project plan, conduct regular meetings with subordinates to monitor deliverable against timelines and research criteria, enrolled and tested, and share it with supervisor, coordinate with supervisor for IRB related issues of the project in order to effectively and efficiently plan the execution of the research project;
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Process Improvement: Prepare daily and monthly report and share it with the supervisor, provide conceptual insights based on practical experience, write and/or review manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journal and where possible, discuss and prepare reports together with the supervisor, revise report based on feedback received from supervisor in order to support scientific manuscript creation while developing one's own scientific writing abilities.
Education and relevant experience:
- MBBS degree from any reputed Medical College with valid BMDC registration;
- 5 years of experience in the field of child health research, however, preference will be given to those who have experiences implementing IMCI clinical guideline.
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Referral system
- Qualitative and quantitative research
- MS Office (Excel, Power Point) and Statistical
- Determining cause of death of under 5 children
- Integrated management of childhood illness
- Clinical assessment of illness
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by March 17, 2018. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application.
icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin or disability status. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.