National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : February 05, 2019 Application deadline : February 14, 2019
Manager, Clinical Pathology under the Laboratory Sciences and Services Division (Adv#29/2019)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
Special Information - icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender or disability status.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Manager, Clinical Pathology with Clinical under the Laboratory Sciences and Services Division. The appointment will be made on Fixed Term basis for 2 years which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
Duty station - Dhaka
No. of vacancy - 1 post
Salary - Annual Tk. 1,479,990/ -inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances and other admissible benefits.
Benefits/facilities - 14.8% provident fund contribution, income tax paid by icddr,b, children allowance @Tk.1,917/- per child per month, festival bonus, contributory healthcare support including dependent spouse and children, group life insurance and subsidized canteen. Transport and daycare facilities are subject to space availability.
Plan, organise, execute and monitor the activities of the Clinical Pathology Laboratory WITH THE OBJECTIVE OF analysing and reporting patient Pathology, while maintaining quality and bio-safety WITHIN the guidelines of Laboratory Sciences & Services.
- Planning and Organising: Provide input to supervisor for Clinical Laboratories strategic plan development; Create annual operating plan for the clinical pathology laboratory and validate with supervisor; Set KPIs and targets for the laboratory in consultation with supervisor and Laboratory Management Committee (LMC); Collaborate with team members, Quality Assurance (QA), bio-engineering, ASSD Admn Team and vendors to create annual maintenance plan; Track progress against operating plan and KPI target s, and take corrective action, if necessary in order to promote effective and efficient functioning of the laboratory.
- Laboratory Management: Prepare daily roster of duties; Conduct team meetings to review issues faced by the team, condition of equipment and supplies, upcoming maintenance activities etc.; Validate the previous day's results every morning, and retest abnormal / critical results; Inspect work-spaces for adherence to quality procedures; Troubleshoot issues with equipment; Advise bio-engineering team to take appropriate action, and contact a vendor if necessary; Design and periodically revise specimen acceptance and rejection criteria; Guide team members on pre-test specimen preparation, in adherence to Specific SOP; Direct team members to test specimens as per test procedures; Provide reason for each case of specimen rejection (contamination, deterioration, improper storage etc.) and arrange for fresh specimen; Review individual results, results of allied tests, and all the results of one patient at a time; Request re-testing, if required in order to maintain effective day-to-day functioning of the laboratory's activities.
- Quality Assurance: Monitor adherence to quality procedures; Disseminate information to team members on quality standards (e.g. how to write an SOP, how to map a process, how to report incidents and take corrective action, how to make continuous improvements) and new preventative / corrective measures; Draft or revise SOPs / Testing Procedures / flow sheets, review documents drafted by team members, and submit to QA team; Participate in internal audits of other laboratories; Organise for partici pation of lab in external quality assessment and inter-laboratory comparison programmes in order to support the creation and execution of standard procedures in the laboratory.
- Student Programs: Receive requests for training National and international students/ fellows from Training and Education Unit; Create training material (manuals, handouts etc.); Deliver training to students from National/foreign universities; Mentor students through the training program on analysis and report-writing in order to improve student knowledge through icddr,b's expertise.
- Research Support: Provide bio-chemistry laboratory support to research protocols; Train lab/field staff on specimen collection; Analyse specimens in bio-chemistry laboratory; Interpret findings and present results to PI in order to make specialised equipment and techniques available to researchers.
- Bio-safety Management: Design and formulate policies as member of the Bio-safety Committee; Train staff on bio-safety procedures; Observe and promote bio-safety protocols on storage and disposal of infectious agents; Monitor adherence to bio-safety procedures and take corrective action, if required in order to implement bio-safety procedures in the laboratory.
- People Management: Interviews prospective candidates and hire team members; Direct and guide team leaders on resolving member complaints; Set goals, conduct appraisals and confront poor performance in a positive manner; Identify, mentor and reward high performers; Organize for training of team members in order to build a high performing team.
Education and relevant experience:
- Medical graduate (MBBS) with DCP/MCPS preferable.
- 5 years of experience in a clinical laboratory environment, at least 3 years in ISO accreditated Pathology Laboratory.
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Automated Equipment of Medical Laboratory
- Biomedical Tests and Procedures
- Biohazards, Biosecurity and Biosafety Requirements
- Quality Assurance Standards
- Regulatory Requirements
- Laboratory IT Systems
- Inventory Management Guidelines and Tools
- Budgeting and Tracking Mechanisms
- Instrument Principles, Reagent Mechanisms
- Interpretation of Medical Test Results
- Laboratory Standards (e.g. ISO)
- Manual Writing Protocols and Procedures
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by February 14, 2019. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.