National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : February 06, 2019 Application deadline : February 12, 2019
Research Assistant with Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division (Adv#34/2019)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
Special Information - icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender or disability status.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Research Assistant with Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division. The appointment will be made on a Contractual Service Agreement (CSA) basis for 6 months, which may be extended for further period depending on availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Duty station - Dhaka
No. of vacancy - 1 post
Salary - 29,516/ -(consolidated) per month inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances. No other benefit is admissible.
Contribute in the Implementation of water, sanitation and Hygiene studies WITH THE OBJECTIVE OF improving study household behavior, practices and uptake WITHIN the guidelines of Wash Benefits study; and organizational values and guidelines (such as Institutional Governance Framework - IGF and Gender Diversity Guidelines).
- Project Implementation Support: Receive project assignment from Research Investigator or Research Officer; Attend training conducted by Research Investigator and Research Officer and foreign collaborators to understand project objectives, lab assays strategies as per guidelines of study; Maintain liaison among the team and other stakeholders about lab update; Trouble shooting and reporting to RO/RI/AS in order to support research.
- Sample collection, preservation and storage: Collect blood samples from the participants; Maintain cold chain of collected samples from the study participants; Maintain sample log book in order to facilitate laboratory investigation of study samples; Maintain regular inventory of stored samples and laboratory supplies to ensure standard quality.
- Perform Lab Assays: Perform daily processing of stool samples with ELISA method; Carry out DNA extraction from stool samples and urinary assays through biochemistry; Conduct water sample analysis with IDEEX, perform QA/QC measures to ensure accurate counting of helminthes ova; Ensure timely processing of samples within 6-8 hours of collection
- Data Management: Entry results into digital format for periodical sharing with study investigators; Resolve data entry discrepancies to minimize errors; assist with data cleaning and interpretation.
Education and relevant experience:
- Bachelor in Laboratory Technology or Medical Technology. However, educational qualifications may be relaxed up to Diploma in Laboratory Technology or Medical Technology for relevant experiences.
- 3 years of experience in parasitology. Experience in microbiological analysis will be preferred
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Bio-hazards, Bio-security and Bio-safety Requirements
- Ethical Guidelines
- Operation of ELISA or similar equipment for processing stool samples
- Excellent microscopy skills with DNA extraction
- Excellent operation in urinary biochemistry
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by February 12, 2019. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.