National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : February 06, 2019 Application deadline : February 16, 2019
Research Investigator with Universal Health Coverage under the Health System and Population Studies Division (Adv#35/2019)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
Special Information - icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender or disability status.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Research Investigator with Universal Health Coverage under the Health System and Population Studies Division. The appointment will be made on a Contractual Service Agreement (CSA) basis for 11 months, which may be extended for further period depending on availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Duty station - Dhaka and Field Sites
No. of vacancy - 1 post
Salary - 95,748/ -(consolidated) per month inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances. No other benefit is admissible.
Plan, direct and conduct implementation of research activities WITH THE OBJECTIVE OF collecting relevant research data for creating knowledge WITHIN the guidelines of the research protocol; and organisational values and guidelines.
- Project Management: Create detailed project plan covering milestones, deliverable etc; Secure financial and non-financial resources; Provide support to staff of Family Welfare Centers to implement project activities. Train staff on data collection and sample collection procedures; Initiate procurement of necessary items; Field-test and finalize data collection tools; Assign work to team and initiate activities as per project plan; Supervise data collection; Coach staff on how to address issues faced during field-work; Monitor quality of data collected, and response rates against timelines and research criteria; Track consumption of financial & non-financial resources; Take corrective actions to comply with donor mandates and research protocols in order to complete the research (a large intervention study) with adherence to quality standards and project timelines.
- Research Protocol Development: Create detailed research design and methodology to achieve the study objectives; Estimate requirements for financial and non-financial resources based on research methodology; Identify research leaders (PIs, Co-PIs etc.) and collaborators ( external partner organizations etc.) for research projects; Circulate protocol drafts internally and externally, seek feedback and modify accordingly; Seek approval from Finance, RRC, ERC etc. on protocol; Coordinate with Research Administration (RA) for registering projects with government / international authorities and for securing licenses or approvals for research-related activities; Contribute to other colleagues' research protocols in order to develop effective protocols that meet the research objectives.
- Scientific Analysis, Knowledge Creation and Translation: Critically asses data quality; Apply rigorous scientific analysis to derive meaningful inferences from data; Present findings to other scientists and seek inputs; Derive implications for public health; Discuss preliminary findings with key stakeholders; Deliberate on those inputs and develop sound scientific manuscripts; Actively disseminate the knowledge at conferences and seminars; Develop articles for peer-reviewed journals in order to generate new knowledge based on research evidence.
- Scientific Capacity Building:: Recommend staff for internal and external training programs; Conduct workshops and training sessions to share knowledge and experiential learning in order to develop sound scientists and researchers within the centre.
- People Management: Interview candidates and make hiring recommendations, if required; Promote a spirit of collegiality and gender diversity amongst team members and in the organization; Encourage team members to collaborate across areas; Address and resolve any diversity related issues; Set goals and conduct appraisals for the team; Set high standards and confront poor performance where needed; Mentor young professionals and prepare them for higher responsibilities; Identify and reward high performers; Recommend promotions; Take appropriate actions to manage poor performance (such as creating Performance Improvement Plans, coaching, job rotations, planning separations from icddr,b) in order to build and develop an engaged and high performing team.
Education and relevant experience:
- MBBS with Masters in Public Health (MPH) with good academic records;.
- At least 5 years working experience in public health preferably in maternal and child health
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Implementing BCC intervention and stakeholder analysis
- Preparing Research Protocols
- Developing Research Tools and SOP
- Manuscript writing and publish International Journal
- Data collection, Analysis and Report Writing
- Supervising Field Research Team and Monitor Quality
- Investigation and Analysis Tools and Techniques
- IT Systems and standard Applications
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by February 16, 2019. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.