icddr,b (formerly the International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh) is an international public health research institution based in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and has a 58- year history of innovation. Its research agenda, reflects the full spectrum of global health challenges affecting people living in poverty, is articulated in its current Strategic Plan (available at http://www.icddrb.org).
Reporting to the Deputy Executive Director, the Lead, Research Administration will manage Research Administration function in icddr,b to ensure quality, research rigor and sustainability.
icddr,b invites applications for the position of Lead, Research Administration in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
icddr,b offers internationally competitive remuneration package at UN equivalent P3 level paid in US Dollars. The appointment will be made on a fixed-term basis initially for three (3) years which is renewable depending on performance.
Roles and Responsibilities :
- Strategy Development, Planning and Implementation: Assess trends in research protocol development in icddr, b; coordinating icddr,b Strategic plan activities (developing, monitoring, updating, reporting), Liaising and producing KPIs for BOT and all departments, aligning KPIs with new Strategic Plans and monitoring and updating icddr,b Key Performance Indicators and reporting when needed. Conceptualize research support services offering (e.g. Knowledge Management, facilitate using Gender Framework for research; Ethical conduct of research; mechanisms to share concepts aiming at improving collaborative research; abstracts, publications etc.).
- Impact Case Study: Preparation of information for applicants; Liaising with the Impact Case Study Chair of the Board of Trustee. Presentation at Central Committee and liaison with Senior Directors.
- Coordination of Research Activities: Lead facilitation of proposal development, review, approval, submission and award acceptance; prepare analytical information for proposals, coordinate contract/grant administration and donor reporting.
- Compliance, Oversight and Accountability: Ensure compliance with all required procedures starting from approval by Institutional Review Board (IRB); oversight of data management; compliance with icddr,b’s strategic priorities; develop and update research related policies and procedures and ensure compliance.
- Knowledge Management (KM) and Capacity Development of Young Researchers: Study the knowledge sharing requirements, challenges/ bottlenecks at an institutional level, and Devise mechanisms for facilitating information flow across scientific divisions.
- Continuous Development of Department’s Functions and Increase in Research Funding: Keep abridged about international best practices related to research administration and benchmark relevant ones for continuous development of the unit’s functionality.
- People Management: Ensure development of a motivating environment for the Research Administration Team.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Masters in Management/Business Administration/Science or other relevant discipline;
- Minimum 7 years work experience in managing Research Administration function out of which at least 4 years must be in an international research institute; preferably in health sector;
- Experience of working in multi-cultural environment/ multi-national organization(s);
- Proven track record of Research Administration related functions such as Proposal Development, Donor Reporting.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English are essential
- Demonstrated leadership ability and team management
- Knowledge of different donor protocols, budgeting and expenditure monitoring