icddr,b, (formerly the International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh), is an international public health research institution based in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and has a 60-year history of innovation. Its research agenda, which reflects the full spectrum of global health challenges affecting people living in poverty, is articulated in detail in its current Strategic Plan (available at https://www.icddrb.org).
In recognition of its scientific and humanitarian contributions, icddr,b has won many international awards, including most notably:
- In 2001, the first Gates Award for Global Health for its development live-saving solutions, most notably oral rehydration solution, an innovation credited with saving 50 million lives;
- In 2017, the Conrad N. Hilton Humanitarian Prize in recognition of icddr,b’s innovative approach to solving global health issues impacting the world’s most impoverished communities.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development and Communications will have a bold, exciting mandate:
- To provide vision, leadership and strategy for significant growth across the fundraising spectrum;
- To build the development and communications team and transform it into a world-class fundraising operation;
- To position icddr,b for greater development innovation, execution and success;
- To move icddr,b to greater visibility in the donor community and financial sustainability;
- To expand icddr,b’s fundraising capacity to achieve significantly higher revenue targets and greater success;
icddr,b invites applications for the position of Director of Development and Communications in Dhaka, Bangladesh. icddr,b offers internationally competitive remuneration at UN equivalent P5 level paid in US Dollars. The appointment will be made on a fixed-term basis initially for three (3) years, which is renewable depending on performance.
Roles and Responsibilities :
- Provide leadership for the strategic development and management of icddr,b’s global resource development strategy;
- Develop, evolve and deliver a global communications plan and strategy by building visibility and engagement;
- Develop and implement a global resource mobilization strategy for icddr,b, including cultivating and sustaining relationships with donors and potential donors, governments, and NGOs, and other constituencies both nationally and globally;
- Provide strategic guidance to icddrb’s Board, Executive Director and senior leadership on resource development issues to ensure a coordinated and synergistic approach between the organization’s resource development, communications and scientific research activities.
- Provide counsel on and solutions to critical communications and politically-sensitive issues; Identify reputational risks and opportunities and where possible instigate communications to mitigate risks;
- Lead resource development efforts with governments, foundations and corporations;
- Strengthen the development team domestically and globally;
- Provide senior level counsel on other corporate issues that impact icddrb’s reputation;
- Oversee icddr,b brand and lead the process of evolving the brand to harness icddr,b new in-itiatives and direction.
Required Qualifications and Experience :
- A Masters degree or equivalent in International Relations, Public Health or other related field;
- The ideal candidate will have at least ten (10) years’ of experience in fund development and Communication with a record of accomplishments and a proven track record of management-level resource development and communications experience, preferably internationally, including in Europe and/or Asia.
- A successful track record of conceptualizing, designing, managing and implementing resource development strategies and action plans.
- A track record in increasing visibility through broad communications approaches, media relations and social media;
- Demonstrated ability to build and sustain effective relationships with donors and potential donors from government, foundation and corporate sectors.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including the ability to think strategically, delegate where appropriate, to prioritize competing demands and to influence colleagues.
- A strong executive presence, leadership and communication/influencing skills, a high degree of energy, intelligence, and self-confidence.
- Knowledge of issues related to global health, the Sustainable Development Goals, and a working knowledge of or high interest in public health research and innovation.
- Experience working and communicating effectively with an international network of donor representatives; experience identifying and managing consultants; excellent interpersonal and listening skills.
- Political and strategic mind with good marketing skills to draw attention and that will resonate with our target audiences;
- Demonstrated diplomatic skills; ability to deal with conflict productively; culturally sensitive.
- Able to undertake extensive international travel in pursuit of icddr,b’s fundraising priorities.
- Good command over written and oral English skills.
The Organization reserves the right to make an appointment at a grade lower than that advertised.