International employment opportunities
Posted on : January 21, 2021 Application deadline : Until filled
Chief Scientist, Health Systems and Population Studies Division
icddr,b, formerly the International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, is an international public health research institution based in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and has a 60 year history of innovation. Its research agenda, which reflects the full spectrum of global health challenges affecting people living in poverty, is articulated in detail in its current Strategic Plan (available at https://www.icddrb.org). icddr,b is structured into five Scientific Divisions and one Central Management Services (CMS) Division.
The Health Systems and Population Studies Division is one of the five Scientific Divisions of icddr,b. The division includes research programs and initiatives in:
- Health Services.
- Health Economics and Health Financing
- Urban Health
- Gender, Equity and Rights
- Population Sciences
- Noncommunicable Diseases
- Digital Health
The division also runs three health and demographic surveillance systems: (i) Matlab, a rural site 70km outside Dhaka; (ii) Chakaria, a climate vulnerable site on the South East coast of Bangladesh, near Cox Bazaar; and an Urban HDSS operating in eleven slums in Dhaka. In total there are 450,000 people under surveillance.
Reporting directly to the Senior Director of the Health Systems and Population Studies Division, the Chief Scientist is an internationally accomplished, scientific research leader, who can think strategically and provide guidance and mentorship to more junior researchers. S/he will be responsible for developing and leading, internationally relevant, impactful scientific research that falls within one or more areas of research in the Division and can utilize the research facilities of icddr,b. Applications from scientists with expertise in NCDs and/or HDSS are particularly welcome.
icddr,b invites applications for the position of Chief Scientist, Health Systems and Population Studies Division based at icddr,b’s headquarters in Dhaka, Bangladesh. icddr,b offers internationally competitive remuneration at UN equivalent P4 level paid in US Dollars. The appointment will be made on a fixed-term basis initially for three (3) years, which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds. The successful applicant is expected to transition towards independent salary support.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop and lead a substantial program of externally funded, collaborative research within one of the Division’s thematic areas;
- Actively guide, engage with and support the development of research within the Division, fostering research between thematic areas;
- Ensure translation of research findings to influence national and global policies;
- Build sustainable relationships with the international and national researchers and funders;
- Provide mentorship to support scientific professional advancement;
- Ensure that the research is internationally competitive and supported by external funding;
- Develop and foster South-South collaborative relationships.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- An advanced research degree (PhD/Doctorate is preferred) in Epidemiology or Demography with specialization in at least one of the programmatic areas of the Division (preferably non-communicable diseases) and experience across at least one other area.
- A minimum of 12 years’ research experience in population health and/or health systems with evidence of increasing research leadership.
- A strong track record in establishing and leading large-scale collaborative scientific projects in low/middle-income country (preferably South Asian) settings.
- A strong publication record with respect to quantity, quality and impact.
- A strong track record in attracting external financial support from major international funders.
- Ability to develop and lead research teams, including evidence of mentoring and research training.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and oral.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to manage through influence and direct supervision
- Strong decision-making and management skills.
- Exceptional integrity and ethical character.
- Skills to deal with ambiguity and develop partnerships within and across Divisions.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.