National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : February 13, 2018 Application deadline : February 20, 2018
Senior Statistician with Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division (Internal#45/2018)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Senior Statistician with Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division. The appointment will be made on Fixed Term basis for 1 year which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
Duty station - Dhaka
No. of vacancy - 1 post
Salary - Annual Tk. 1,348,820/ -inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances and other admissible benefits.
Benefits/facilities - 14.8% provident fund contribution, income tax paid by icddr,b, children allowance @Tk.1,420/- per child per month, festival bonus, contributory healthcare support including dependent spouse and children, group life insurance and subsidized canteen. Transport and daycare facilities are subject to space availability.
Develop internal statistical capabilities of researchers and statistical unit members and develop independent statistical capacities with the objective of enabling valid research activities including valid statistical analysis within the guidelines of research protocols and internal standards of icddr,b and organisational values and guidelines (such as Institutional Governance Framework - IGF and Gender Diversity Guidelines).
- Research Concept Development: Explore statistical research ideas, develop conceptual frameworks, create statistical research hypothesis and objectives, align research hypothesis and objectives with goals of the centre, finalize research hypothesis, methodology and timelines in consultation with supervisor, work with researchers to make research methods and tools efficient, resolve queries / questions related to the soundness of methodology in order to develop independent statistical research ideas and enhance statistical rigor of research concepts;
- Project Implementation: Design analysis plan of various epidemiological and public health research data, perform advance statistical analysis of epidemiological and public health data using common statistical software to answer specific research questions, interpret results of analyzed data and writing scientific reports, contribute in developing research methodology by estimation of sample sizes, designing sample techniques and data collection tools, track progress against timelines and take corrective action, collaborate with researchers to support implementation of data management and analysis plan, understand monitoring needs, suggest improvements to existing data analysis plans, database management protocols and monitoring tools, develop new monitoring tools, if required in order to effectively execute independent statistical research projects and track progress of other research projects;
- Scientific Analysis and Knowledge Creation: Prepare manuscripts / research reports in collaboration with co-authors, share draft manuscripts with co-authors, make necessary changes post discussion and finalize manuscripts, work with data management team for entry, processing and cleaning of research data, maintain detailed documentation of the collected and processed data, participate in monitoring and supervision of data collection, identification of problems and devising appropriate solution in conducting data analysis, resolve queries and issues related to statistical analysis, conduct data modeling on the research data in order to provide relevant reports to researchers within defined timelines and prepare high quality manuscripts for independent research and provide analytical support to other researchers;
- Scientific Capacity Building: Prepare draft research questions for training needs analysis, track data responses for training needs, train in house staffs for capacity development on statistical analysis, develop training calendar for technical training related to data management, statistical data analysis etc, prepare training materials and modules, guide team to conduct training, analyze training feedback from participants and make appropriate changes in order to build statistical capabilities within the centre;
- People Management: Promote a spirit of collegiality in support of diversity among team members and in the organization, set goals and conduct appraisals for the team, conduct weekly review meetings and encourage team to share experiences for knowledge transfer, set high standards and confront poor performance where needed, mentor young professionals and prepare them for higher responsibilities, recommend promotions, take appropriate actions to manage poor performance (such as creating Performance Improvement Plans, coaching, planning separations from icddr,b) in order to build and develop an engaged and high performing team.
Education and relevant experience:
- Masters in Statistics / Bio-statistics / Applied Statistics with good academic records
- 8 years of experience in statistical domain in a reputed organization, however, candidates having publications will get preference.
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Statistical approaches used in public health research
- Independant writing capacity for publication
- Managing team of Statisticians
- Complex data analysis using statistical software like STATA, SPSS, R, and Epilnfo
- IT specially good understanding about relational database
- Developing and fascilitating training on ststistics and/ or statistical software
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by February 20, 2018. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application.
icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin or disability status. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.