National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : February 07, 2019 Application deadline : February 14, 2019
Medical Officer with Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division (Adv#37/2019)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
Special Information - icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender or disability status.
icddr,b works collaboratively with the Ministry of Health on a number of innovative health systems and surveillance platforms. One new area is a respiratory event based surveillance system designed to identify high risk, potentially highly contagious respiratory illness in hospitals throughout Bangladesh in a time and cost efficient manner. The new system is designed to identify specific respiratory illnesses in critically-ill hospitalized patients using standardized criteria and standardized laboratory testing responses for influenza and other respiratory viruses and bacteria. This is a globally-innovative way to conduct respiratory disease surveillance and much can be learned from this pilot implementation. icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Medical Officer with Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division. The appointment will be made on a Contractual Service Agreement (CSA) basis for 6 months, which may be extended for further period depending on availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Duty station - Dhaka
No. of vacancy - 1 post
Salary - 100,056/ -(consolidated) per month inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances. No other benefit is admissible.
The medical officer recruited for this position will be working full time with the Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) within the Bangladesh Ministry of Health and with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (both staff at CDC Atlanta and the CDC Country office in Dhaka).The primary responsibility will be to manage the technical and data management aspects of the new respiratory events based surveillance system (Hospitals in 3 divisions and Dhaka have been training to date). Further the incumbent will plan, direct and conduct implementation of research activities with the objective of collecting relevant research data for creating knowledge within the guidelines of the research protocol and organisational values and guidelines (such as Institutional Governance Framework - IGF and Gender Diversity Guidelines).
- Project Planning and documentation: Understand research protocol; Develop and maintain a database of all reported cases/events including the details of that event and actions taken (lab testing performed and results, epidemiologic investigations undertaking, patient outcomes and patient care decision made, etc.); Coordinate with FETP fellows and IEDCR staff for the daily responsibility of responding to events by phone and occasionally in person when deemed necessary; Develop data collection tools to ensure all relevant information is being collected
- Project Implementation: Follow up periodically with participating hospitals to encourage reporting and to conduct assessments of whether most cases meeting the event trigger criteria are identified by local hospital staff and notified to IEDCR within 24 hours; Assist with investigation of clusters of illness or deaths identified by the EBS system; Meet with FETP fellows, outbreak consultants and PHEOC members; Facilitate training for data collection and good clinical practices guideline in order to ensure timely implementation of the project.
- Data analysis and report writing: Conduct monthly analyses of the EBS reports and their outcomes and likely diagnoses.; Assist with a more intensive bi-annual review and evaluation of the EBS system.
- People Management: Promote a spirit of collegiality and gender diversity among team members and in the organisation, encourage team members to collaborate across areas, address and resolve any diversity related issues, set goals and conduct appraisals for the team, set high standards and confront poor performance where needed, guide and prepare them for higher responsibilities, take appropriate actions to manage poor performance (such as creating Performance Improvement Plans, coaching, job rotations, planning separations from icddr,b) in order to build and develop an engaged and high performing team.
Education and relevant experience:
- MBBS with completion of one year internship program
- 3 years’ experience in relevant field. Candidates having prior experience working in ICU with any reputed Institution will get preference.
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Clinical assessment of illness
- Infection control
- Data analysis and data management
- Determine likely causes in case of any abnormal death
- Investigation and Analysis Tools and Techniques
- Infectious and zoonotic illness
- Management of respiratory infectious disease
- IT Services, Systems and Applications
- Regulatory Compliance
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by February 14, 2019. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.