National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : March 11, 2019 Application deadline : March 20, 2019
Research Officer with Maternal and Child Nutrition under the Nutrition and Clinical Services Division (Adv#59/2019)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
Special Information - icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender or disability status.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Research Officer with Maternal and Child Nutrition under the Nutrition and Clinical Services Division. The appointment will be made on Fixed Term basis for 1 years which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
Duty station - Dhaka
No. of vacancy - 3 posts
Salary - Annual Tk. 563,350/ -inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances and other admissible benefits.
Benefits/facilities - 14.8% provident fund contribution, income tax paid by icddr,b, children allowance @Tk.1,917/- per child per month, festival bonus, contributory healthcare support including dependent spouse and children, group life insurance and subsidized canteen. Transport and daycare facilities are subject to space availability.
Plan, organised and implement laboratory assay WITH THE OBJECTIVE OF conducting high-quality laboratory research WITHIN the guidelines of the research protocols; and organisational values and guidelines.
- Proposal and Protocol Development: Work with the Principal Investigators in developing concept notes; study different published journals; support research team, coordinators and PI in preparing of reports for collaborators and sponsors; assess lab staffing and material requirements for specific lab tests for protocol execution in order to support creation of proposals and protocols with funding potential in order to assist in proposal and protocol development.
- Project Implementation: Train team members and lab technician on research specific lab works (sample storage, sample separation, basic lab tests and transportation of study sample to icddr,b, b main lab); receive samples from clinical team and field staff with appropriate document; make duty roaster among lab team; conduct basic lab tests, and monitor tests done by new team members; resolve issues, and raise escalations to supervisor, if required; mentor and train staff on-the-job; monitor and track consumption of resources in order to execute research protocols and interventions, and conduct high-quality research.
- Scientific Analysis and Knowledge Creation: Perform lab tests based on direction from supervisor; prepare report with findings and share with supervisor; discuss with other team members regarding new lab procedure for new research protocol; statistically analyze data; prepare graphs and presentations in order to publish in peer-review journals.
- Laboratory Diagnostics: Collection of samples (environmental and clinical); monitoring of physico-chemical parameters of water; Preparation of media and chemical reagents for laboratory testing following appropriate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment); Isolation and identification of enteric and respiratory pathogens by rapid diagnostic test, culturing, epifluorescent microscopy, and molecular tools; Antimicrobial sensitivity assay by disc diffusion; Determination of MIC by E-Test, and molecular basis of drug resistance; Extraction of DNA from clinical and environmental samples; and Preparation of primer, probe and positive control DNA for qPCR; Standard curve preparation; Analysis of qPCR results for detection and quantification of pathogen(s) in order to maintain laboratory experiments.
- Quality Assurance: Read latest literature regarding tests and procedures; Review and update quality assurance manual; Train other staff on quality processes; Check adherence to quality assurance processes from collection to reception by the laboratory in order to monitor adherence to quality guidelines in laboratory test processes and results.
Education and relevant experience:
- M.Sc. in Microbiology from any reputed university with good academic record.
- 1 year of experience in related field specially in research laboratory.
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Ethical Guidelines
- Monitoring of physico-chemical parameters of water
- Project related Internal and External Reporting
- Scientific Report Writing and Communication
- Molecular Basis of Drug Resistance, and Typing of Bacteria by PFGE, RAPD, RFLP and other techniques.
- Bio-security and Bio-safety Requirements
- Publication in Peer Reviewed Journalss
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by March 20, 2019. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.