National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : April 08, 2019 Application deadline : April 20, 2019
Research Investigator with Climate Change and Health under the Health System and Population Studies Division (Adv#93/2019)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
Special Information - icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender or disability status.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Research Investigator with Climate Change and Health under the Health System and Population Studies Division. The appointment will be made on a Contractual Service Agreement (CSA) basis for 8 months, which may be extended for further period depending on availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Duty station - Dhaka
No. of vacancy - 1 post
Salary - 100,056/ -(consolidated) per month inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances. No other benefit is admissible.
Plan, organize and implement quantitative and qualitative field research WITH THE OBJECTIVE OF conducting high-quality field research WITHIN the guidelines of the research protocols and organisational values and guidelines.
- Proposal Development: Provide major research ideas in the field of environmental pollution, atmosphere, natural resource, ecosystem services and climate change and health for protocol development; aid the development of protocols (especially those related to climate change, environmental science or ecosytem services); Develop protocols; Analyse protocol for feasibility of field implementation; Create preliminary budgets for protocols; Maintain good relations with potential donors and develop research proposals for funding; Revise budgets after consultation with Principal Investigator; Review protocol for adherence to qualitative research principles and make appropriate suggestions in order to support creation of proposals and protocols with funding potential.
- Project Implementation and Monitoring: Implement projects (especially those related to climate change, environmental science or natural resource management); Match field site demographics and protocol requirements to identify target locations / households for research study; Create work plan (allocation of locations and duties) for implementation of intervention project; Supervise the creation of tools and materials for implementation in collaboration with donor consultants; Train those involved with project implementation on intervention hardware, project message, and basic dissemination techniques; Monitor activities and provide guidance, if required; Train implementation team to carry out implementation of intervention project across entire field site; Monitor progress of implementation team; Provide input and guidance to implementation team, if required; Collect and analyse data from the community and implementation team; Oversee the transcription of information into digital form in order to conduct high-quality research; supervise field data collection;
- Project Administration: Liaise with national and international researchers from different organizations especially those who deal with meteorological data, climate change research and environmental research; Coordinate with project administration for purchasing any project items; Provide relevant project expenses documents (field operation) to the project administration for adjusting the cost with the project budget.
- Scientific Analysis, Knowledge Creation and Translation: Provide conceptual insights to statisticians for data analysis as well as for elaborating results; Write journal articles and where possible collaborate with scientists and academics,check finalize initial report prepared by Research Officers, based on one's own analysis, experience and understanding of the work as well as other's; Discuss with all team members' initial reports together for consensus on findings; Prepare final report for submission to supervisor; Revise final report based on feedback received from supervisor; Provide feedback (especially on those related to climate change and health) in order to create scientific manuscripts.
- People Management: Promote a spirit of collegiality and gender diversity amongst team members and in the organisation; Train new staff 7in basic rules and procedures followed at icddr,b; Prepare and present reports on certain cases, incidents, initiatives etc., during team meetings and department meetings; Encourage team members to collaborate across areas; Address and resolve any diversity related issues; Set goals and conduct appraisals for the team; Set high standards and confront poor performance where needed; Mentor young professionals and prepare them for higher responsibilities; Identify and reward high performers; Recommend promotions; Take appropriate actions to manage poor performance (such as creating Performance Improvement Plans, coaching, job rotations, planning separations from icddr,b) in order to build and develop an engaged and high performing team.
Education and relevant experience:
- MSc with BSc in Environmental/ Atmospheric Science or Engineering with good academic records;
- At least 3 years research experience in climate change, natural resources or food security; Candidates will be given preference those have experience in the coastal areas of Bangladesh and Scientific Publications in peer reviewed journal and demonstrated research experience in climate change & health and modeling experience;
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Data Collection Methods and Tools;
- Natural and Social Environments, Ecosystems, Global Environmental Change;
- Operational barriers of large scale surveys;
- Training of field staff;
- Ethical Guidelines;
- Budgeting and Expenditure Monitoring
- Administrative Policies and Procedures
- IT Systems and standard Applications
- Climate Change Modeling
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by April 20, 2019. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.