National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : April 15, 2019 Application deadline : April 20, 2019
Research Investigator with Programme for HIV and AIDS under the Infectious Diseases Division (Adv#97/2019)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
Special Information - icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender or disability status.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Research Investigator with Programme for HIV and AIDS under the Infectious Diseases Division. The appointment will be made on a Contractual Service Agreement (CSA) basis for 7 months, which may be extended for further period depending on availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Duty station - CHIV field-site (Dhaka)
No. of vacancy - 1 post
Salary - 100,056/ -(consolidated) per month inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances. No other benefit is admissible.
The investigator is responsible for conducting research on understanding concurrent use of psychoactive substance among the clients of Methadone Maintenance Treatment (MMT) clinics with the objective of measuring percentage, exploring the underlying reasons, investigating process of intake and effects on social, behavioral, legal and psychological aspects of MMT clients using concurrent psychoactive substance (i.e. benzodiazepine, methamphetamine, opioids, and cannabinoid) within the strategy of the program; and organisational values and guidelines.
- Research Proposal and Protocol Development: Brainstorm research ideas with scientists; Create detailed research design and methodology to acheive the study objectives; Draft proposals for study questions articulated by the team; Review concept notes for Programme Head and PI; and provide comments; Contribute to other colleagues' research protocols in order to conduct research and develop effective protocols that meet the research objectives.
- Project Management: Create detailed project plan covering milestones, deliverable etc.; Support PI and work with Program support team to process salaries, update budgets, arrange transport and other logistics etc; Train staff on data collection procedures; Field-test and finalize data collection tools; Assign work to team and initiate activities as per project plan; Supervise data collection; Collect data for the protocol; Coach staff on how to address issues faced during field-work; Monitor quality of data collected, and response rates against timelines and research criteria; Take corrective actions to comply with donor mandates and research protocols in order to complete the research, with adherence to quality standards and project timelines.
- Scientific Analysis, Knowledge Creation and Translation: Critically asses data quality; Apply rigorous scientific analysis to derive meaningful inferences from data; Guide team to analyse data and draw appropriate scientific inferences; Present findings to PI and Co-PIs and seek inputs; Discuss preliminary findings with PI; Deliberate on those inputs and develop sound scientific manuscripts; Actively work with PI to disseminate the knowledge at conferences and seminars; Develop draft final report with the team and share it with PI in order to generate new knowledge based on research evidence.
- Scientific Capacity Building: Partner with junior scientists on data collection methods; Involve junior scientists in discussions, manuscript writing etc.; Recommend staff for internal and external training programs; Conduct workshops and training sessions to share knowledge and experiential learning; Participate in lectures and training programs in Govt. institutions in order to develop sound science within the Division.
- People Management: Promote a spirit of collegiality and gender diversity among team members and in the organisation; Encourage team members to collaborate across areas; Address and resolve any diversity related issues; Set goals and conduct appraisals for the team; Set high standards and confront poor performance where needed; Mentor young professionals and prepare them for higher responsibilities; Identify and reward high performers; Recommend promotions; Take appropriate actions to manage poor performance (such as creating Performance Improvement Plans, coaching, job rotations, planning separations from icddr,b) in order to build and develop an engaged and high performing team.
Education and relevant experience:
- Master’s Degree in Social Science/Public Health; candidates having MBBS Degree will get preference.
- At least 5 years experience with research projects. Preference will be given to those who have experience in the field of HIV and AIDS.
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Research Domain
- Research Design
- Research Analysis
- Scientific Writing and Publications
- Data/Sample/Specimen collection and management
- Regulatory Requirements and compliance
- Project Management
- IT Systems and standard Applications
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by April 20, 2019. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.