National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : April 15, 2019 Application deadline : April 27, 2019
Senior Manager, Budget Management and Planning with Finance under the Central Management Services (Adv#98/2019)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
Special Information - icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender or disability status.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Senior Manager, Budget Management and Planning with Finance under the Central Management Services. The appointment will be made on Fixed Term basis for 2 years which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
Duty station - DHAKA
No. of vacancy - 1 post
Salary - Annual Tk. 2,561,360/ -inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances and other admissible benefits.
Benefits/facilities - 14.8% provident fund contribution, income tax paid by icddr,b, children allowance @Tk.1,917/- per child per month, festival bonus, contributory healthcare support including dependent spouse and children, group life insurance and subsidized canteen. Transport and daycare facilities are subject to space availability.
Plan financial resources, supervise budget and forecast development process, implement robust budgetary control and allocation systems with the objective of improving financial performance, fund accounting and financial reporting standards within the policies and guidelines of Finance function; and organisational values and guidelines (such as Institutional Governance Framework - IGF etc).
- Strategy Development and Planning: Understand Finance strategies and annual tactical plans; Derive implications and prepare operational plans for multi-year financial planning; Review annual implementation plans of budget and planning unit with Director, Finance; Set performance objectives for the unit; Provide inputs on annual budget plan to Director, Finance; support to develop strategy for cost recovery, and inter departmental charging system aligning these with the icddr,b long term strategic objectives; Facilitate Budget Team in preparation of Budget Performance for BOT on strategic financial issues in order to ensure cost effective budgetary planning and financial management for icddr,b.
- Budget and Policy Development: Supervise annual budget and forecast development process; Review current and projected needs for all centres and administrative units; Evaluate defined priorities with principal investigators and Centre support unit coordinators; Monitor, update, and communicate adjustments to the budget as needed during the year; Provide budget implications and recommendations to funding scenarios to address organizational concerns and facilitate resolution. Identify information needs and provide inputs in development of reports to facilitate planning and decision-making; Prepare detailed budget and forecast guidelines and instructions; Critically review budgets and forecast for accuracy and completeness; and conformance with established procedures, regulations, and icddr,b objectives; Budgetary analysis, and appraisal; Develop five year projections for both restricted and unrestricted funds; Strategic policy development, long and short-range financial planning and budgeting, and monitoring program and service performance; Interpret budget directives and development of related policies; Lead the project budget proposal development process; Play a key role in the development of an account code structure that facilitates the tracking of all transactions by project or unit in order to ensure efficient management of budget, its forecast and development of relevant policy and guidelines.
- Budget Operations and Management: Prepare assessment report on ongoing budgetary management, fund management including reconciliations; Assess financial opportunities and risks, financial management of projects; Review and monitor detailed expenditure reports, project future financial needs; Monitor and establish control on approved financial plans and budgets; Review all project budgets and agreements in line with the donor as well as icddr,b rules and regulation and recommending action; Supervise effective management of budget & planning functions in the ERP system, assist with the correct recording of receipts, revenue , internal funds transfer; Control of budget code use and closing; Review transactions as per authority matrix in line with relevant policy; Maximize overhead recovery from projects; Support the maintenance of up to-date Internal Departmental (ITD) rates to ensure projects and services pay a fair share of their costs; Monthly analysis of actual results compared to budgets and forecasts and reporting on causes and remedies; Tight control of organizational expenditure through implementation of sound budgetary controls; Provide budget clearance for all expenditure in order to ensure the efficient and effective operation of budgetary control activities and grant management.
- Cost Reports and Analysis: Coordinate preparation of monthly expenditure reports and variance analysis preparation in line with required policies, procedures, and schedules; Review, analyze, and report on project, departmental budgets and expenditures and variances, periodic monitoring and evaluation framework reports; Review and monitor detailed expenditure reports. Support full cost recovery; support financial projections and implications for icddr,b finances; Coordinate timely submission of routine financial cost reports & invoices to donors and provide prompt responses to queries; provide on time support to respective teams for the preparation of financial and indirect cost report to support icddr,b annual reporting requirements; Generate MIS report for Management in order to ensure efficient management reporting system for the Budget and Planning Services.
- Invoice and Financial report management: Supervision of the invoice and Financial report preparation is done on a regular basis based on donor and icddr,b compliance. ensures the quality of the reports and invoices are maintained and regular support and training provided to the Finance managers so they ensure quality report preparation. Supervise the grant document review so realistic report deadlines are invoice deadlines are added to the contract. Support Grants and compliance team in all audit related queries by providing timely transaction list and other information ( if need be). Review donor audit reports and provide feedback if requested by senior manager grants and compliance. Prompt invoices preparation. Supervise and ensures Finance managers take necessary actions to adjust the monthly over/ under expenditure.
- People Management: Provide coaching and advice to the staff members; Supervise staff performance; Provide regular guidance to the budget staff in ensuring effective service to the clients; Establish within icddr,b policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; Monitors and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; Allocate resources accordingly; Provide inputs to other finance staff and stakeholders for team effectiveness in order to build a high performing team.
Education and relevant experience:
- Masters in Accounting / Finance with qualified CA/CMA/ACCA/CPA.
- Minimum 12 years of relevant experience with at least 5 years of experience in financial planning, grants and budget management with an international organization.
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Accounting Policies, Systems and Guidelines
- Budgeting and Cost Management
- Financial Data Management and Analysis
- Program Planning and Development
- Project Management and assessment
- ERP, Data Analytics and Audit tools
- Benchmarking techniques
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by April 27, 2019. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.