National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : February 09, 2020 Application deadline : February 17, 2020
Staff Nurse for the project titled ‘Emergency health care response for the Rohingya refugees and host community in Cox’s bazaar’ with Hospitals under the Nutrition and Clinical Services Division (Adv#18/2020)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Staff Nurse with Hospitals under the Nutrition and Clinical Services Division. The appointment will be made on a Contractual Service Agreement (CSA) basis for 6 months, which may be extended for further period depending on availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Duty station - Cox's bazar
No. of vacancy - 4 posts
Salary - 49,763/ -(consolidated) per month inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances. No other benefit is admissible.
The position holder will receive, register, examine and provide treatment to the patients come through the emergency and outpatient department with the objective of enabling the Hospitals for effective management of patients WITHIN the hospital guideline and organisational values and guidelines.
- Patient Care: Receive and registration of patients, takes ailment history, performs physical examination, assess medical problems, dehydration status, determine therapy and assign bed; Take and record vital signs, body weight and intake and output, and prepare patient census; Make round and follow doctor(s) order and plan, implement and evaluate nursing intervention(s); Observe general and any unusual condition(s) of the patients and brings to the notice of the Physician(s) and/or Nursing Officer(s) and/or Charge Nurse on duty; Work with physician(s) or investigator(s) in conducting research protocols and performing various diagnostic procedures, such as lumber puncture and arrange for blood transfusion; Perform various nurs ing or medical procedures, such oropharyngeal suction, oxygen therapy, and various fluid administration;
- Patient Care (Cont.): Check oxygen saturation and blood glucose, cardiac message, and artificial respiration by Ambu Bag or mouth to mouth and participates in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR); Ensure collection, labeling and dispatch of specimens to the laboratory; Operate medical equipment, e.g., ECG Machine, Infusion Pump, Cardiac Monitor, Suction Machine, Blood Glucose Meter, Syringe Pump, Ventilator, Warmer, etc; Encourage mothers for breastfeeding, feeding ORS and maintain hygiene; Counse l the patient, attendant and provide health education & information; Identify emergency and need for referral to physician or other hospital; Document details of patient care interventions through using Computerized Hospital Information Management System in order to ensure efficient patient care services.
- Supervision & Management: Supervise associate nurses and other supporting staff, such as, health workers and sanitation attendants; Indent, administer and maintain drugs, equipment and other logistic inventory; Report breakages and losses of hospital items; Check and maintain medical supplies for the ward; Ensure that all commodities and equipment used in and around the ward are sensibly used and preserved appropriately; Ensure that all existing stocks are maintained in a safe and tidy environment; Ensure all equipment is clean and well maintained for ready to use; Report any incidence in the ward/hospital to the Physician(s) and/or Nursing Officer(s) and/or Charge Nurse on duty and/or Professional Practice Leader-Nursing; Practice maximum integrity in all dealings with Clients' personal and financial affairs in order to maintain effective supervision and ensure proper management.
- Communication: Notify the Charge Nurse and/or Nursing Officer on duty and/or Professional Practice Leader-Nursing, immediate of any inability to report for duty; Obtain information of any incident, accident and status of any patient whose care & health is causing concern and report to the Nursing Officer on duty and/or Professional Practice Leader-Nursing; Inform the Pharmacy of any special needs of medicines; Inform the kitchen of any special dietary needs; Supervise the serving of meals, ensuring that the special dietary needs of individual patients are being met; Establish and maintain good communication with Clients, Ensure a clear and concise handover report is given to all relevant Staff Members at the end of each shift ; Avoid abusive words to the patients, attendants, colleagues and other stakeholders; Participate in Staff and Client meetings as required in order to establish a good communication channel in workplace
- Professional Development: Participate in Staff Induction & Training programmes as and when required; Guide associated nursing staff in all aspects of their work in the ward/unit; Maintain and improve professional knowledge and competence; Keep professionally updated knowledge and skills in all areas of clinical expertise; Attend mandatory training days/courses, on or off site, as and when required in order to enhance professional development.
- Health & Safety: Ensure healthy and safe environment for the patients and their attendants; Report immediately to the Charge Nurse and/or Nursing Officer on duty and/or Professional Practice Leader-Nursing, about any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a patient, attendant, colleague, self or another Understand, and ensure the implementation of, the Centre’s Health and Safety policy, and Emergency and Fire procedures; Report to the Charge Nurse and/or Nursing Officer on duty and/or Professional Practice Leader-Nursing, about any faulty appliances, damaged furniture, equipment or any potential hazard; Ensure infection control practice and the security of the ward/unit in order to comply with Health & Safety measures
- Nursing Ethics & Professional Code of Conduct: Actively promote a positive personal / professional profile within the work place and community, ensuring the good reputation of the Centre and nursing profession at all times; Adhere to the Centre’s and BNC’s guidelines and regulations at all times; Be ‘on-call’ for emergencies, which may arise within the Centre and out of the Centre; Ensure that all information of the patient is confidential and should not divulged to third parties; Carry out any other tasks that may be reasonably assigned by the supervisor/designee in order to practice best Nursing Ethics and Code of Conduct.
Education and relevant experience:
- Diploma in Nursing Science and Midwifery/BSc in Nursing with valid registration from the Bangladesh Nursing and Midwifery Council (BNMC).
- 3 year relevant experiences . Candidates who have completed Fellowship in Nursing from icddr,b will get preference.
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Clinical Diagnosis and Treatment
- Nursing Practices and Procedures
- Infection Control
- Diet Management
- Clinical Counselling
- Patient Care and Satisfaction
- Hospital Functions
- Investigation analysis tools and techniques
- IT Services, Systems and Applications
- Regulatory Requirements and Complainces
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by February 17, 2020. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application.