National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : February 12, 2020 Application deadline : February 22, 2020
Senior Finance Manager with the IDD Administration under the Infectious Diseases Division (Adv#25/2020)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
Special Information - icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender or disability status.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Senior Finance Manager with the IDD Administration under the Infectious Diseases Division. The appointment will be made on Fixed Term basis for 2 years which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
Duty station - Dhaka
No. of vacancy - 1 post
Salary - Annual Tk. 2,120,860/ -inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances and other admissible benefits.
Benefits/facilities - 14.8% provident fund contribution, income tax paid by icddr,b, children allowance @Tk.1,917/- per child per month, festival bonus, contributory healthcare support including dependent spouse and children, group life insurance and subsidized canteen. Transport and daycare facilities are subject to space availability.
Perform operational and Financial Management; and analysis project and organizational performance including interlinked policy issues related to procurement, HR, and Finance satisfying the donors, auditors and Principal Investigator with the objective of supporting leadership decision-making; and improve Infectious Diseases Division’s (IDD) financial efficiency and effectiveness within the guidelines of Finance Policies and Strategies and organizational values and guidelines.
- Supervision & Coordination: Supervise, coordinate and execute budget and forecast, review agreements and highlight donor restrictions, requirements, financial reporting, invoice formats, audit requirements, budget code management, budget and budgetary control, cost allocation, cost adjustment in compliance with donor agreement as well as Centre’s Policies and Procedures. Interpret and ensure the application of donor agreement as well as Centre’s Financial Policies and Procedures in order to prepare budget, budgetary control, costing and cost allocation and keep Senior Management informed of the relevant policies and procedures.
- Financial Analysis: Understand expectations from the Supervisor, Finance and other stakeholders (PIs), if required; Collect financial and cost information (budgets, income & expense statements, other financial reports prescribed by funding agencies, cash flow statements etc.) periodically from various teams within the unit; Identify gaps in data and liaise with concerned team to bridge the gap; Analyze data for immediate issues, and short-term and long-term risks; Devise potential solutions to include in reports and present to stakeholders in order to support decision making through sound financial analysis.
- Budgeting and Reporting: Preparing budget required for various donor agencies, prepare and examine reports within IDD and Budget Unit; Understand need for new reports from stakeholders (Senior Director, IDD,PI’s of IDD, Budget Team), if required; Create templates and stylistic guides; Liaise with teams within IDD and Budget unit for periodic collection of data and information; Create / compile reports based on requirements from funding agencies, Program Head; Incorporate analysis into financial reports; Have capacity to develop a long term plan of Division Self sustaining. Draft relevant sections of report (e.g. narrative and web-based grant progress report, report in donor prescribed format); Validate and double-check all data and information; Seek regular feedback from supervisor and incorporate improvements in order to develop and maintain a high quality of reports for the IDD in association with Budget Unit.
- Policy Review and Application: Liaise with various teams within IDD and Budget unit; Understand their policies and identify necessary frequency of review and update within stakeholders; Collect relevant information from teams and Senior Director IDD, and Budget unit; Disseminate information about updated policies within the unit and Budget; Coach team members to answer queries regarding policies and processes in order to develop an analytical and responsive Budget unit. Provide expert advice within IDD and Budget unit as well as to other units (If required) on all matters related to HR policy, Procurement Policy, Finance Policy and other related donor financial policies. Provide guidance to PI's, and other stakeholders in order to maintain compliance issues.
- Cost & Grant Management: Prepare assessment report on ongoing budgetary management, fund management including reconciliations; Review and monitor detailed expenditure reports, project future financial needs; Monitor and establish control on approved financial plans and budgets; Reprogram funds in accordance with approved guidelines and policy; independently conduct program analysis and prepare relevant reports; Review all project budgets and agreements in line with the donor as well as icddr,b rules and regulation and recommending action; Disseminate donor rules and regulations e.g. restriction, reporting issues, audit requirement etc. to the division staff; Control of budget code use and closing; Maximize overhead recovery and allocation of the cost from projects; Monthly analysis of actual results compared to budgets and forecasts and report to Division Director and Director, Finance on causes and remedies; Establish proper definition of costs and classification; Tight control of organizational expenditure through implementation of sound budgetary controls; Provide budget clearance for all expenditure in order to ensure the efficient and effective operation of budgetary control activities and grant management.
- New Initiatives: Understand requirements / objectives from stakeholders (e.g. Senior Director, PIs IDD, Budget team) for a new initiative; Set expectations regarding involvement and deliverable with Senior Director, IDD (e.g. project management, administration, oversight, guidance); Provide analysis and insight during activities and meetings in order to support new initiatives and facilitate their success.
Education and relevant experience:
- Masters in Commerce (Accounting /Finance)/ Masters in Business Administration (Accounting or Finance) with /CA/CMA/ ACCA certified;
- 10 years experience in financial management with a focus on analysis and reporting in a large organization, at least 8 years experience in budget and financial management at any not for profit organization is preferable.
Knowledge of -
Knowledge of -
- Financial policies, Process and Reporting Guidelines;
- Accounting Policies, Systems and Guidelines;
- Treasury Operations;
- Budgeting and Cost Management;
- Regulatory Requirements and Compliance;
- External Audit Management;
- Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint) and relevant software.
Skill on -
Skill on -
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by February 22, 2020. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.