National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : April 01, 2020 Application deadline : Until filled
Head, Technical Team with Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division (Adv#43/2020)
Head, Technical Team with Programme for Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Established 60 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
Head, Technical Team
Applications from women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Head, Technical Team, USAID’s Alliance for Combating TB in Bangladesh with Programme for Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division. The appointment will be made on Fixed Term basis for 2 years which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
The Alliance for Combating TB in Bangladesh project will develop a dynamic, strategic, and fresh approach to accelerate Bangladesh’s fight against TB. The solutions will be aimed at creating an environment aligned with the universal health coverage (UHC) vision and focused on defined priority areas – increased TB detection, decentralized DR-TB management, child TB, expanded prevention and others.
The Head, Technical Team, reporting to the Head, Programme for Emerging Infections (PEI) is an experienced public health professional with an impeccable reputation for excellence in the public health programs. The position will be responsible for overall technical direction of the program, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the cooperative agreement. The Head, Technical Team will represent the project on behalf of icddr,b to stakeholder meetings. S/he will be accountable person for ensuring satisfactory project performance as well as compliance with award conditions, organizational policies and procedures, and acceptable standards. This involves ensuring that the program is technical sound, in line with international best practice in TB programming.
Duties and responsibilities
- Assist the Technical Lead and the Chief of Party to develop annual work plans and seek approval from the donor
- Drive and provide leadership in the development, implementation and ongoing review of the program’s technical strategy and contribute to other key program deliverables
- Support the Chief of Party to identify opportunities for engagement(s) at the strategic-level and assist with such engagement to strengthen organizational positioning, as required
- Responsible for technical implementation of the program
- Supervise and monitor activity implementation in conjunction with the monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) team and ensure that stated goals and reporting requirements are met
- Identify and mitigate risks related to program implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate program adjustments
- Monitor technical implementation by the partners and ensure that the technical implementation across all partners are progressing as planned
- Maintain strong partnerships and regular communication with the project partners, and other key stakeholders
- Provide technical and strategic assistance to the Government agencies and other counterparts and stakeholders
Learning & development management
- Play a key role in the delivery of Quarterly Review meetings that review program progress, emerging results, and data and evidence from research and learning activities, to inform ongoing planning and decision making
- Lead on the development of certain technical deliverables, as agreed with the donor, such as policy papers, lessons learning reports and briefings
- Provide performance management, coaching and mentoring support to the program team to foster a culture of knowledge-sharing, learning and results-based delivery that is adaptable to evolving external and internal program contexts;
- Prepare donor reports regularly as per donor requirement
- Effective program implementation through proper technical support to the program and partners.
- Effective partners management through providing technical assistance to partners and stakeholders involve with the project.
- Effective risk management including proactively identifying any risks, issues, and capacity gaps and effectively manage them or seek support for solutions.
- Effective people management ensuring proper support, mentoring, quality supervision and leadership and decision-making within a team setting to perform to a high standard and meeting their objectives.
Required experience and qualifications*
The candidate shall have at a minimum Graduate in medical education including a post-graduate in health-related subjects.
- Minimum 12 years’ relevant experience in public health arena which includes specialization in the development of policies and strategies, program design and management, monitoring and evaluation, coordination and networking, staff management and technical assistance.
- Professional level of oral and written fluency in the English language with strong writing and communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to deal with ambiguity
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and team management
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build consensus and resolve conflicts
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Fluency in English and proficiency in Bangla
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Possesses a drive for excellence
- Superior decision making skills
1) Project management
- Knowledge of various project management tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of relevant technical knowhow
2) Collaboration & Partnerships
- Knowledge for the management of partners and stakeholder relationships.
3) Compliance management
- Ensure compliance in regards to the technical aspect of the Program, policies and procedure and ensure compliance of the partners also.
4) Knowledge Management
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use project technical data and knowledge to generate report and make research.
*The person assessed by the Selection Panel as most suitable for the position will be proposed for appointment. Selection among short-listed candidates will also take into account performance at interview, appropriate testing, and references.
Salary: Annual Tk. 33,75,320/- inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances and other admissible benefits.
Benefits/facilities: 14.8% provident fund contribution, income tax paid by icddr,b, children allowance @Tk.1,917/- per child per month, festival bonus, contributory healthcare support including dependent spouse and children, group life insurance and subsidized canteen. Transport and daycare facilities are subject to space availability.
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org until the position is filled. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application and their performance appraisal of last 3 years will be evaluated.
Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview.The Organization reserves the right to make an appointment at a grade lower than that advertised.