National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : October 13, 2020 Application deadline : Until filled
Technical Advisor, Health System Strengthening and Policy Advocacy (HSS & PA), USAID’s Alliance for Combating TB in Bangladesh with Programme for Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division (Re-adv#160/2020)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Established 60 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
Technical Advisor, Health System Strengthening and Policy Advocacy (HSS & PA)
Applications from women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Technical Advisor, Health System Strengthening and Policy Advocacy (HSS & PA), USAID’s Alliance for Combating TB in Bangladesh with Programme for Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division. The appointment will be made on Fixed Term basis for 1 year which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
The USAID’s Alliance for Combating TB in Bangladesh project will develop a dynamic, strategic, and fresh approach to accelerate Bangladesh’s fight against TB. The solutions will be aimed at creating an environment aligned with the universal health coverage (UHC) vision and focused on defined priority areas – increased TB detection, decentralized DR-TB management, child TB, expanded prevention and others.
The Technical Advisor (HSS & PA), reporting to Chief of Party is responsible to embed sustainability mechanisms ensuring stronger health systems for TB service delivery in the project area. He/she will be responsible for implementation of Health Systems strengthening & advocacy component in close collaboration with GOB counterpart and other TB stakeholders. The position will oversee the implementation of HSS activities across all the project areas while continue do advocacy to the different ministries and policy makers. S/he will work with the Health managers and other counterparts at the subnational level while maintaining national level linkages to entrench sustainability measures and coordinate the county performance reviews, planning and budgeting. The position has a combined technical and managerial role. S/he will be accountable for ensuring highest level of compliance with award conditions, organizational policies and procedures, and acceptable standards.
Duties and responsibilities
Strategic and Technical Leadership
- The Technical Advisor (Health System Straitening & Policy Advocacy) will provide technical leadership on all aspects of health systems to improve the quality of TB service delivery in both the public and private health sectors;
- Lead the design and oversight of interventions which use the WHO Health Systems framework and ACTB’s approach to health systems strengthening to facilitate changes required at all levels;
- Lead the development, working with the project team and consultants, of ACTB’s strategy on health systems strengthening using TB as an entry point into the health system at national and sub-national levels;
- Lead the project's efforts towards the institutionalization of specific TB control interventions developed by the project;
- Facilitate financial autonomy in the national and sub-national level and improved understanding of health financing.
- Harness and coordinate expert inputs from consultative workshops into strategy development, oversight and implementation;
- Provide support to project team members to adapt the strategy into all streams of work and build capacity of project teams and implementing partners to deliver the projects health systems strengthening strategy;
- Engage with broader health issues such as the sustainable goals for development;
- Ensure implementation of HSS and Advocacy work plans and achievement of results across all the project areas by all the partners.
- Provide and coordinate HSS technical assistance to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and NTP;
- Provide support to the NTP team in its efforts in harmonization, partner coordination and donor alignment;
- Represent ACTB on relevant technical working groups, committees and meetings;
- Advocate with national, divisional, district and community-level health institutions to raise awareness about their role in improving health outcomes
- Work closely with other project staff to ensure that project strategies and approaches are delivered in a coherent and coordinated way and in line with log frame targets;
- Build strong partnerships with the government and other key stakeholders to ensure the project is in line with government priorities and the successful implementation of the project;
- Actively identify and follow up on opportunities to leverage support and resources for the project that will contribute to, or further the objectives of the project;
- Contribute to strengthening the referral system at all levels of the health system
- Promote the development of health managers’ capacity through a broad range of approaches such as training, one-on-one mentorship and on-the-job training, supportive supervision, etc.;
- Provide regular narrative and milestone reports internal monitoring and donor reporting as required;
- Promote a culture of learning within the project and more broadly, proactively documenting and disseminating technical results and lessons.
- Promote a spirit of collegiality and gender diversity amongst team members and in the organization;
- Encourage team members to collaborate across areas; Address and resolve any diversity related issues;
- Set goals and conduct appraisals for the team; Set high standards and confront poor performance where needed;
- Mentor young professionals and prepare them for higher responsibilities; Identify and reward high performers; Recommend promotions;
- Take appropriate actions to manage poor performance (such as creating Performance Improvement Plans, coaching, job rotations, planning separations from icddr,b in order to build and develop an engaged and high performing team.
Required experience and qualifications*
Medical graduate with a Master's degree in Health Administration/Health economics/Public health/Social sciences or a related field.
Minimum 6 years of experience in public health programs. Preference will be given to those who have experience in providing technical assistance in developing and implementing TB related programs and HSS interventions; The candidate should have Proven track record of successful capacity building and association with TB and Willingness to travel in remote area of Bangladesh.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to deal with ambiguity
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and team management
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build consensus and resolve conflicts
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Fluency in English and proficiency in Bangla
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Possesses a drive for excellence
- Superior decision-making skills
- Excellent knowledge of the Bangladesh Health System.
- Extensive knowledge on Health Care Financing of the health sector.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of Bangladesh TB Program.
- Proven ability to find non-traditional means of accomplishing objectives.
- Ability to prepare manuals and training materials;
Collaboration & Partnerships
- Capacity to deal with professional bodies, public and private sectors;
- Ability to interact and advise senior host-government counterparts on policy and other strategic planning issues
- Ability to enlist engage and link partners and stakeholders in accomplishing the greater objective;
- Proven ability to build capacity in counterparts;
- Capacity to effectively resolve conflict and overcome resistance to change
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills, and attention to detail
*The person assessed by the Selection Panel as most suitable for the position will be proposed for appointment. Selection among short-listed candidates will also take into account performance at interview, appropriate testing, and references.
Salary: Annual Tk. 21,20,860/- inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances and other admissible benefits.
Benefits/facilities: 14.8% provident fund contribution, income tax paid by icddr,b, children allowance @Tk.1,917/- per child per month, festival bonus, contributory healthcare support including dependent spouse and children, group life insurance and subsidized canteen. Transport and daycare facilities are subject to space availability.
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org until the position is filled. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application and their performance appraisal of last 3 years will be evaluated.
Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for a written test/interview.
The Organization reserves the right to make an appointment at a grade lower than that advertised.